Get on the path to results today.

parenting plan

Your ex will not follow the Parenting plan in Indiana? Here’s what you can do:

If your ex is not following the parenting plan in Indiana, there are several steps you can take to address the situation. It’s important to remember that you should always prioritize the best interests of your child when dealing with these matters. Here are some steps to consider:

  1. Communication: Try to communicate with your ex in a calm and respectful manner. Explain your concerns and try to work together to resolve any issues. Misunderstandings or changes in schedules can sometimes be resolved through open and honest communication.
  2. Mediation: If direct communication doesn’t work, consider mediation. A mediator can help both parties come to an agreement and ensure that the parenting plan is followed. Mediation is often less adversarial and more focused on cooperation.
  3. Consult Your Attorney: If informal methods don’t resolve the issue, consult with your family law attorney. They can provide legal advice specific to your situation and guide you on how to proceed.
  4. File a Contempt Motion:  If your ex continues to disregard the parenting plan, you may need to file a contempt motion with the court, which will outline all of the instances where the person has willfully disobeyed a court’s order. This legal action may also ask the court to enforce the existing parenting plan. If the court finds your ex in contempt, the court may impose penalties such as fines, pay the other party’s attorney’s fees, loss of visitation time, or even jail time in extreme cases.  Seeking contempt is not appropriate in situations where there are minor complaints or deviations from a court order.
  5. Modify the Parenting Plan: If circumstances have changed significantly since the original parenting plan was established, you can petition the court to modify it. Modifications may be necessary if, for example, one parent has relocated, there are changes in work schedules, or if there are concerns about the child’s well-being.
  6. Documentation: Keep thorough records of all interactions with your ex regarding the parenting plan. This includes missed visits, refusal to adhere to the plan, and any relevant communications. This documentation can be useful if you need to go to court.
  7. Seek Legal Assistance: Consult with an attorney who specializes in family law. They can guide you through the legal process and represent your interests in court if necessary.
  8. Court Enforcement: If the court finds your ex in violation of the parenting plan, they may order enforcement measures such as make-up visitation, fines, or even a change in custody if it’s in the best interests of the child.
  9. Counseling or Parenting Classes: In some cases, the court may order both parents to attend counseling or parenting classes to improve communication and cooperation.

The specific steps you should take may vary depending on the details of your case. Consult with Treptow Law to ensure that you take the most appropriate legal actions to protect your child’s best interests!